Make time for me time everyday – 10 easy ways:
Each and every day we spend most or all of our time doing for others. Running around after the kids, our partners. Working to please our clients, our bosses. The list is endless and we never seem to have time for ourselves. How often have you heard someone say “If only I had more time.”
Finding time for ourselves is important. It makes us happier, it improves our self esteem, it can calm us down, it recharges and above all we deserve it. However, it can be challenging to find regular time each week to dedicate to ourselves. So start smaller and make time for me time everyday.
10 Easy Ways to make time for me time:
If you can’t spare a day, an evening, or even an hour then start with minutes. These ten easy ways to make time for me time can be done any day. You might do one, you might do all ten, you might repeat one of them over an over. It doesn’t matter. Even if you just do one of these a day, you are making time for me time and starting to reward yourself for all that you do! Find which ones will work for you and make them a priority in your day.
1.Drink your favorite hot beverage alone. Make it at home, stop at the drive through, but take 5 minutes to stop and drink your drink and enjoy the peace and quiet. Leave earlier for work, get your drink and stop in your car before you get to your destination. Stop and drink your drink, savor it, enjoy it, watch the world go by, people watch. But pause your life and enjoy your drink.
2. Walk. Around the block, around your yard, take the dog out, get out in the fresh air. Work in an office, get out and walk around the parking lot. It does not matter where, just get out in the fresh air and move. Breathe in the air, clear your mind. This is an instant energy boost.
3. Read. A trashy novel, a self improvement book, a magazine. Whatever you enjoy, read for ten minutes every day. Sitting on a train, on your lunch break, waiting to pick up the kids form school, before you get up, before you go to bed. You can find ten minutes, enjoy them. It may not sound enough, but your will be surprised how much you can read in ten minutes and how much you will look forward to the next installment the next day.
4. Journal. Write about something good that happened today, what has made your smile. Write about your dreams, your goals. Note down what you are thankful for. Make it a happy journal. I love doing this of a night right before bed.
5. Spa Shower. (or bath if you have time) Make it a mini spa time. Have the scrub at hand, extra rich moisturizer, deep conditioner and music. It doesn’t have to be mellow spa music. Play whatever you want to relax or energize you.
6. Meditate. One of my favorites. You don’t have to be sitting cross legged on a mat to meditate. You can meditate anywhere at anytime -even in the washroom!! So no excuses. There are many apps for your phone (I highly recommend CALM) that will guide you through a 5/10/15 minute mediation anytime, anyplace. Relax and enjoy!
7. Sing. In your car, in the shower, home alone. Sing, dance, smile and laugh. This is a wonderful stress buster. Make sure you have your favourite songs on your playlist always at hand.
8. Ted Talks. Get motivated, get inspired. Listen to a TED talk. When walking the dog, working out, sitting on the train. Choose from hundreds of topic and listen to some well known speakers.
9. Stretch. Yoga, Pilates, Tai chi are all great ways to relax. But with little time even the simplest of stretches and deep breaths give you a sense of peace and rejuvenation. Take a few deep breaths sweeping your arms above your head and feel the difference.
10. Call a friend or family member. No text, email, social media. Pick up the phone and have a conversation. Laugh, chat and catch up.
Do what makes you happy, if only for a few minutes a day. Life goes by all too quickly to not do the things that make us happy. Make time for me time, little by little until it becomes a part of your day or week that you always find time for. Me time is important for our health, for our soul. Start making yourself a priority in your life.
Till next time.